Saturday, September 5, 2015

Teaching Philosophies


ESL 5301-002
Teaching Philosophies – 2nd draft

1. Teaching Philosophy

                  As a graphic design instructor, my teaching philosophy has been influenced by a fusion of Western and Chinese cultures. In Chinese culture, teaching has two inseparable folds: Passing on knowledge and nurturing of minds. As such, I define teaching as not only a process by which I instruct students in the acquisition of knowledge but also as a process that encourages students to become independent thinkers. I have observed that some students feel that learning is all about memorizing information and following instruction in the classroom. When one possesses this type of mentality for learning, they often want instant answers for questions with little attention to how to formulate the right answers, or how to resolve problems independently. A proverb from Western culture states, “If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day; if you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime”; I try to emphasize to students that memorization of graphic design concept and theories, and practice of technique skills is only a fraction of what should be learned. The most important and challenging part of learning is the understanding of the rationale underlying the concepts and theories. It is knowing how, why, and when to apply learned material to solve novel problems in design process. (Xiaomiao)

2. Teaching Philosophy

           One of the major jobs for a Personal Financial Planning instructor is to train future financial planners. In order to become a competent financial planner, one has to remember voluminous laws and regulations about income tax, investment, retirement, and estate.
           Simply reading materials to students in the class is inefficient and even ineffective. The best way is to have the students read the book before the class. In-class quizzes can ensure that the students do their reading assignment. Students can obtain an overall understanding of the knowledge when they read the book. The instructor therefore has enough time to introduce important knowledge in class. Students tend to get confused about regulations. I encourage students to ask questions in class or after class if they have any confusion about the material. Solving problems in class helps all of the students who have similar confusion.
           It is important to ensure that the students understand how to utilize the knowledge they learn. Students can quickly find out how to deal with real clients in specific situations if they go through some case studies. A financial planner is supposed to have a comprehensive understanding of his or her case. Therefore, I will design cases for students to practice and give some adapted past real cases for them to read. The case study will be assigned to each individual student so that each student can consider all the details of the case. I will encourage my students to discuss cases with each other and find out the best solutions so that they can potentially find out different opinions. The discussion can occur on Blackboard or meetings after class. Software will be introduced to help students solve problems efficiently.
           Assessment methods can be different depending on the specific courses. For most courses, the exam simulates the certification exam (Certified Financial Planner) and helps students prepare for it. For a lab course introducing software, case studies are the best because a student cannot finish the case without having a comprehensive understanding of the software.  (Ruizhi)

3. Teaching Philosophy

            As a graduate student pursuing a PhD degree in the field of chemical engineering, one of my future career options would be to become a faculty member. One of my main duties will be to teach courses related to my research area and my field of study to undergraduate and sometimes graduate students as a faculty member. Therefore, I often think about myself becoming a teacher. I have attended many classes during my undergraduate studies and have had many teachers. I have also had the opportunity to teach a few classes as a teaching assistant and hold discussion sessions for undergraduate students since the beginning of my graduate studies. I believe that I can use my own experience as student and as a teaching assistant to develop methods and ideas that could help me become a good teacher.
                  It is important to know that nowadays, teaching is no longer the process of making students memorize the contents of so many books and evaluating them by testing how quickly they can recall the information memorized in the form of limited-time exams. Nowadays, anybody with access to the internet can find the information they need online very quickly and very easily. Therefore, I believe the students need to learn how to approach the problem they’re facing (for example, the design of a chemical plant), how to find and acquire information that will help them solve the problem, and how to apply those information in order to solve the problem. In other words, I want to teach my students fishing, rather than just giving them the fish. For example, instead of writing down a list of mathematical expressions and relations, I can show the students how to derive them.
I also believe that learning is done through doing. For example, one can only learn to drive once one sits behind the wheels of a car and starts driving. Students will learn how to apply useful information to solve a problem by actually applying different problem solving methods to various problems, which can be done through examples and exercises. These exercises can be in the form of in-class quizzes, which serve the purpose of helping students to understand the concept they learned in the classroom and how it can be applied to practical problems.
Furthermore, I believe that critical thinking is an important skill for any student to have, as good questions are usually the results of critical thinking. These good questions can in turn lead to gathering more information about the problem, which leads to an easier solution. Developing the critical thinking skill in students can be achieved through group assignments (for example, a take home exam or a project on which a group of students can work while having more than enough time), where students can discuss various problems with each other, listen to each other’s ideas and also question each other’s ideas. Through this process, I believe students can learn about different ways of thinking, expand their views on various problems and learn how to approach a problem from different perspectives.
I believe that the more traditional methods of teaching are not efficient anymore, and teachers who can bring innovation to their methods are more successful in training skilled engineers. I hope that my teaching philosophy can be categorized among the more successful ones. (Pouria)

4. Teaching philosophy

                  In this essay, I will introduce my teaching philosophy in teaching immigrant students. Teaching immigrant students whose English is limited requires more special teaching skills than teaching local students. For me, I think there are two teaching strategies I would like to implement in my classes.
                  Making knowledge clear to students is a very important teaching strategy for bilingual teachers. It means that teachers should use special teaching methods to make knowledge easily understood by students. For instance, when teachers are teaching kindergarten immigrant students’ objects, such as, different kinds of fruit, instead of telling students directly the English name of fruit, showing ELLs (English Language learners) the real fruit is a better choice. By hearing, touching, feeling, and smelling the real objects, students will learn English effectively.
                  Another teaching philosophy that appeals to me is making students involved in my class. There are several ways to involve students in class. For example; in teaching ELL’s vocabulary, teachers model the commands and continually repeat and review them until the students can carry out the commands with no difficulty. Specifically, teachers may give commands, such as “stand up” and “sit down,” then they do the commands; by repeating these, students know what is meant by “stand up” and “sit down.” After that, teachers give comments to students and make them involved in this activity. By this kind of physical activity, teachers involve students in the class.  (Lu)

5. Teaching Philosophy

                  When it comes to being a teacher, some people consider that a teacher must be equipped with abundant professional knowledge and responsibility of teaching students. However, these are merely fundamental qualities of being a teacher. In my point of view, it requires effective methods of teaching as well.
                  Unfortunately, I have no experience of being a teacher, but I have undergone undergraduate education of landscape architecture for 4 years. During these times, I took many courses by different teachers and felt various teaching methods and class atmospheres. Some are good while others are not. As a result, I gradually got some ideas about teaching philosophy.
                  If I were a landscape architecture teacher who was teaching undergraduate students, I would be responsible for every student. Since undergraduate students are mainly undeveloped or being developed while they are eager to achieve professional skills; it is crucial for me to help them look for methods of knowledge acquisition and foster their personality during undergraduate studies. For undergraduate students, they already have the capability of grasping knowledge from books, so teachers should focus on the key information of the topic rather than convey knowledge by mechanically reading a textbook to students. In my teaching philosophy, cultivation of students’ confidence and ability for independent thinking should be taken into account. First, every student should be prepared for each class, with questions and critical thinking in mind. I will let some students summarize the articles and encourage them to express their viewpoints respectively instead of entirely accepting what I teach. Second, starting a discussion consists of producing questions and getting other students to solve them. I will focus on making a full explanation of those questions that no one could answer. Third, I will emphasize the main concept of this topic and make sure everyone has understood it.
                  For landscape architecture students, they may have no idea of design while concept learning is not enough. Showing them pictures or videos of the design process helps construct an idea of it and is also conducive to grasping their attention and makes a better understanding. In this way, students will achieve more success. Also, it is essential to share various aspects of experiences in my career, because students can be directly aware of how to apply the knowledge in their career and what personality should be built, which contributes to their final growth. Meanwhile, I strongly consider students should work in groups, as they gradually form a sense of being cooperative and develop ability of leadership; especially in landscape architecture, not all projects can be finished by oneself, either in university or in one’s career. Students must learn how to communicate and work with others, accepting and sharing different ideas, finishing their own work on time and integrating everyone’s work, to present a perfect design.
                  Last, different teachers have different teaching philosophies and the best is always the one that can be accepted by students and effectively beneficial to them. I believe the teaching philosophy that I mentioned can let students achieve more success in the future. (Kai)

6. My Teaching Experience

                  I have  always  wanted to be a teacher from an early age. I used  to teach math to  my  younger  brother as well as neighbor kids since I was 12 years old. I believe that has  something to do with the fact that my father, a civil engineer, used to be a private math  teacher  and  would  do  it  as  a  second  job. I  remember  observing  him  teaching  for  hours  without  having  a  single  clue  about  what  he  was  talking  about.  When  I  entered  the  university,  I  was  not  able  to  think  of  any  job  which  would  suit  me  other  than  being  a  professor.  I was completely sure  this  was  going  to  be  the career  I  was  going  to  do  for  a  living.  There was only one  problem.  All  the  students  seemed  to  be  bored  in  most  classes  or  at  least  they  were  not  fully  comfortable.  That  was  when  I realized teaching  could  be  just  a  job  like  any  other  career,  or  it  could  turn  into  an  art  if  the  person  who  was  doing  that,  cared  about  it  greatly.  So I  tried  to  use  my  experience  as  a  student  and  turn  it   into  my  materials  as  a teacher.
                  I  was  fortunate  enough  to  be  a  teacher  when  I  was  studying  my  Master of  Science.  I  have  had  over  300  students  in  4  years,  all  in  the chemical  engineering  field  such  as  mass  transfer,  chemical  reactions  and  thermodynamics.  These  experiences  made  me  realize  I  should  always  consider  two  goals. First,  always  try  to  get  better  and  try  to  be  the  most  updated,  fun,  knowledgeable  teacher  for  your  students.  Second, you  will   not  achieve  goal  number  one!  So  it  is  almost  impossible  to  make  all  of  the  students  satisfied  at  all  times  and  there  will  always  be  some  students  who  do  not  agree  with  your  points  or  your  method  of  teaching.  However,  nothing  horrible  would  be  coming  out  of  hard  working  and  pursuing  goal  number  one! 
                  I  think  in  general  a  teacher  should  be  very  focused  on  the  core  concepts  of  the  course  he  or  she  is  teaching.  I  personally  used  to  spend  enormous amount of  time  before  each  class  to  own  the  topic  because  to  be  honest,  even  a  student  who  knows  nothing  about  a  topic  will  get  the  sense  if  you  are  not  prepared.  In  this  way  the  teacher  would  lose  the  student`s  trust  and  consequently  his  own  confidence.  But  surprisingly  having  a  vast  knowledge  of  a  certain  topic  is  not  enough  as  we  see  many  great  researchers  and  scientists  are  not  necessarily  decent  teachers.  One  should  try  to  get  better  in  the  art  of  passing  the  wisdom  and  knowledge  to  students  with  use  of  various  examples  and  expose  them  to  different  aspects  of  that  particular  problem.  He  or  she  should  help  students  to  visualize  the  case  or  at  least  give  them  an  imagination  about  what  is  really  going  on  instead  of  just  formulating  the  problem  using  pure  math  or  physical  definition.  This  is  really  common  in  the engineering  area  because  often  you  see  students  who   are  brilliant  in  math  and  are  able  to  do  many  engineering  problems  despite  of  having  no  idea  or  deep  understanding  about  the  features  of  them.  Another  trick  that  I  eventually  learned  to  use  was  to  keep  the  environment  of  the  class  very  friendly.  I  believe  along  with  being  strict  and  running  the  class  based  on  certain  rules,  the  teacher  should  have  some  sense  of  humor!  Being  funny  is  essential  for  a  teacher  because  let’s  face  it,  even  if  you  are  the  smoothest  talker  or  the  deepest  professor  in  your  field  you  are  going  to  lose  the  audience`s  attention  eventually.  I personally would even take my time to prepare my jokes before  the  class.  However, my jokes always work better when I improvise them! 
                  Another key component in teaching in my view is making students interact! I remember  being  bothered  or  I  could  say  feeling  left  out  when  my  teachers  would  not  ask  me  any  questions  or  not  ask  about  my  opinion.  Maybe some teachers ignore the  fact  that  sometimes  simple eye contact with students would help them build their  confidence.  Sure,  there  are  always  more  active  students in class  who  are  willing  to  participate  in  class  discussion  all  the  time,  but  let`s  not  forget about  those  more  shy,  introverted  students  in  class  who  need  to  be  given  attention.  So building a class atmosphere  with  interaction  between all attendees could  help us to avoid  having a thick air, boring  and  not  likeable  class.
                  Teaching  has  always  been  an  inspiring  job  for  me  and  I  think  the  ability  to  share  your  knowledge  with  students  and  help  them  to  think  more deeply,  and  gain  self-confidence  to  build  a  better  future  for  themselves  and  society  is  precious  and  priceless.  But like  any  other  goals, it will not be achieved except by putting endless effort  into   it,  because  that  is  how  the  world  works.  To  do  that,  he  or  she  should  always  be  prepared,  open  to  questions, very active and caring to all the students with a  little  bit  of  humor.  In this way, the student would  enjoy  the  class  as  much  as  they  enjoy any other fun activities. Learning plus having fun?  That is utopia! (Sina S)



7. Teaching Philosophy

                  From an early time in my  education,  I  have  experienced  teaching  to  my  friends,  classmates  and  siblings,  and  most  of  the  time  I  found  it  very  fulfilling.  It  not  only  improved  my  ability  to  transfer  my  knowledge  on  that  subject  to  others,  but  also  it  helped  me  learn  more  about  that  topic  during  the  teaching  process.  Those  small  experiences  and  also  a  lot  of  points  which  I  learned  as  a  chemical  Engineering  student or Teaching  Assistant  have  developed  my  teaching philosophy.
                  I believe the most important skill that a teacher should have or at least try to  gain  is  the  skill  of  communication.  It seems essential to be able  to  connect  to  students,  and  also it will help to avoid a stressful or uncomfortable atmosphere. Students should be ble to ask  questions  and  get  answered  properly.  Therefore, I always  try  to  communicate  with  students and encourage them to ask questions to make sure that  they are understanding what I am trying to teach. Even if it means I have to repeat a part, the students should be comfortable enough to ask for it. Friendly discussion with students and sometimes a little sense of humor can help to build a good and comfortable  atmosphere.   
                  Furthermore, since Chemical  Engineering  courses involve a lot of mathematics  and  formulas,  therefore  the  best  method  I  have  found  to  grab  students’  attention  is  to  prepare  power  point  slides  on  most  part  of  the  material  and  copy  them  and  give  them to students. In this way, they will be able to follow the  teacher  without  getting  lost.  In  my  experience,  the  key  to  the  highest  effectiveness  of  this  method  is  that  there  could  be  some  blank  spots  in  power  point  notes,  which  students  need  to  fill  in  themselves.  This can  make  them  more  focused  on  the  subject,  and  also  they  should  follow  the  teacher  to  find  out  the  answer  of  those  spots.
                  However, in  order  to  prevent  students  from  memorizing  the  formulas  without  a  deep  understanding  of  them,  I  have  found  that  solving  example  problem  can  be  really  effective.  This makes  it  possible  for  them  to  apply  their  knowledge  in  real  example  which  leads  to  adequate  perception  of  the  concept.  However, it  will  not  end  here,  because  what  students  learnt  in  one  session  can  be  easily  forgotten  in  the  next  class  if  they  do  not  repeat  or  solve  more  examples.  Therefore, suitable  number  of  homework  assignments  can  do  the  trick  in  here.    Furthermore, I  believe  one  important  step  in  learning  process  is  frequent  open-discussion  quizzes,  because  in  this  way  students  will  learn  more  than  what  they  expected  from  each  other. 
                  Last, sufficient  distribution  of  the  points  which  make  the  final  grade  of  the  students  on  the  course  is  critical.  Multiple homework  assignments,  projects,  midterms  and  of course  final  exam  should  be  considered  for  each  course.  In this  way,  even  if  the  students  miss  a  part  for  a  reason  they  can  make  it  up  through  the  other  sections  during  the  semester. (Soraya Honarparvar) 


8. Teaching philosophy

                  The purpose of education is to prepare students for a better future and to have the ability to improve the economics of their societies. Therefore, teachers have a significant job that requires several skills and training to be successful. We are mistaken to think that teachers need only to be good in their field and to forget that teachers interact with students of different ages with different needs. There is no doubt that teachers should prepare well for a class, be organized and provide materials that help students to understand the lessons.
                  In kindergarten class, I would put in my consideration the relationship between me and students, how to inspire students and how to create a positive environment in the class. I would respect students and give them freedom to express their opinions. Students would be inspired by teachers who love their subjects and express that love. This love will encourage them to create new methods of teaching and update their information. As a result, students love and get attached to the subject. Therefore, I would use face expressions to show how I love all activities that I would provide from different subjects. Using positive words also is one of my teaching strategies. Positive words will help students to work harder and give them confidence in their ability. Also, positive words will make students happy and attached to school. As a result, the learning performance will improve.
                  Another way that helps to improve the learning performance is to connect information with experience, like learning math through cooking. For example, I would use ingredients to teach children simple addition and fractions. Also, by using a measurement cup, I would teach them some concepts such as, half and quarter. In kindergarten class I would use different kinds of material and activities to connect playing with learning and to make sure that all children understand the information. I would avoid using a lot of technology, because at this age children need to learn how to interact with others. Therefore, I would provide group activities to teach them how to take turns and share with each other. I believe making learning fun will help students to love school and learning. As a result, the idea of continuous education will be part of their lives when they grow up. (Ebtehal)




No comments:

Post a Comment